Male and Female (see the note below) Shepard can romance Kaidan Alenko. The romance can be started in Mass Effect (1) and rekindled, or started anew.
- Male Shepherd, don’t want to romance Kaidan? Don’t buy the Whiskey.
- Visit Kaidan in the Huerta Memorial Hospital after Priority: Mars. He will email you about his recovery and potential visiting times. You can bring him a bottle of TM-88 Peruvian Whiskey to cheer him up and help spark romance. Purchase it at the kiosk in the hospital lobby.
- Visit Kaidan again after Priority: Palaven.
- Kaidan will then offer to meet you on the Presidium Commons via a private message on your personal terminal. If you have made the correct dialogue choices, Kaidan will bring up a relationship, or Shepard can push for it.
- It is possible for FemShep to romance Kaidan if you did not romance him in Mass Effect 1
(note) Kaidan DOES make a pass at Male Shepard in the Presidium Commons after Priority: Citadel 1, with no prior relationship from Mass Effect 1 or 2. This, however, does not indicate or lead to a relationship by itself; rather, visiting Kaidan after Priority: Citadel 1 and bringing him a Bottle of TM-88 Peruvian Whiskey, then visiting him after Priority: Palavenfollowed by accepting his invitation for lunch on the Presidium are what will grant you the opportunity to romance Kaidan.